Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Oxford!

So I think that the title says it all, I was in Oxford before Spring break so two weeks ago now and it was amazing! When we first arrived at University College we were shown to our rooms and I had one of the biggest rooms with a piano in it, plus a double bed which I think few people had. After getting settled in our rooms we had a tour of Oxford, which was nice to know our bearings around the city. Then we had the afternoon to ourselves to do whatever we wanted, so five of us went to a sandwich place and got dinner, which was good. Then we went to a disco in the college's pub and it was great, we danced to some American music and the director of the program put on a wig and was dancing around, so funny.


On Sunday I went to Christ Church for a religious service and it was different than I was used to, but I did enjoy it. Later we went punting which is a flat boat with a long pole to push you along the river, luckily no one fell in, but I did get the metal pole dropped on my head, which hurt.
Monday I had two classes, but I did do some exploring of Oxford, which it is such a beautiful city. On Tuesday, I had a tour of Christ Church where they filmed part of Harry Potter, I am getting to see all these places where the movie was filmed. For dinner that night most of the program went to an Indian Restaurant, which I found out that I like Indian food, I hope I can find a place back in the states that will have good Indian food, that will be one of my missions when I come back in 2 months!!

On to Wednesday I had class in the morning and then I did more exploring of the city and this time I brought my camera to take some pictures, I also did some shopping for me and others, some great presents for people! Thursday I went to Saint Mary Tower and I got a view of the entire city which was breathtaking. As a group we went to the Museum of Natural History and the Pitt Rivers Museum, which had some interesting things inside of it like shrunken heads and those were in the Harry Potter movies too. We all came back and we were going to go to the Botanical Gardens but of course it started to rain!

So instead I decided to take a nap, however I spent until 725 p.m. Now that does not sound bad, but I had to be at a formal dinner at 730 and I wanted to take a shower, as you may guess I did not shower but I got ready in like 5 minutes and I was not even late to the dinner, now that is impressive I thought! The food was so good I ate goat cheese with roasted figs, then the main course was a rump of beef with rosti potatoes and leeks then for dessert was pear and frangipane tarte with vanilla clotted cream, it was so yummy. I did try everything however some things I liked more than others, but at least I tried it! So Thursday was our last night in Oxford some of us went out and I enjoyed myself, but I probably could of used the sleep however no regrets.


Friday we got up earlier and then drove to Blenheim Palace, however some people left early to start spring break, but my flight was not until Saturday morning. The Palace was built in 1704 and it had beautiful gardens and even a maze to go through, we got lost a little but eventually we made it out of the maze. The Palace is so big that it has a little train that will take you from the Palace to the gardens and maze, which was a lot of fun especially since the train pulled us backwards. We arrived back in Bath around 4 p.m. and I had to do laundry and get ready for Spring Break in Morocco and Spain!



No comments:

Post a Comment