Sunday, May 2, 2010

London

I bet you can't guess where I was... I knew I could not fool you. Anyway I went to London this past weekend and when I arrived on Thursday afternoon I was met by someone at the train station, my dad!!! It was so nice to see him, he will actually be visiting me until May 10 so another seven days, yippee! Alright now onto London!

The first day, so Thursday, we walked around Greenwich since our hotel was right near Greenwich. We went to the observatory where the prime meridian is, so at one point my body was going east and west. After that we just walked around got some dinner then crashed early because my dad did not sleep on the plane (aka he was very tired from the time change) and I have a cold that I am trying to get rid of it, not very successfully.

The second day, Friday, we took the train into London Bridge and then did a tour of Tower Bridge which was interesting, perhaps this will be a repeat when I have other visitors come!!! Then we went to the Tower of London, where we spent a lot of time and even saw some of the queen's jewels! After we had enough of that we made our way towards a museum that my dad wanted to see the Tate Modern and I actually found some of it interesting and other pieces I was wondering how it could even be art, but that is just my opinion. We had dinner and decided where we wanted to go next, which was the London eye. This had to be my favorite part of the day because at the top the whole city can be seen, very cool. Once we got off Big Ben was going to strict, I tried to get a video but it did not work really well, but at least I saw it. Then my dad thought it would be a great idea just to walk around, which was fine, but then we ended up walking an hour back to the train station, London Bridge, to get our train back to our hotel. Let's just say I slept very well that night!!

On Saturday, which was my day, we saw the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace and I got a perfect spot right in the front behind a barrier where the guards walk into the Palace. Even though the changing was long it did not matter because it was nice outside and it was something I really wanted to see. After we walked to Westminster Abbey, where a lot of people are buried, however no pictures were allowed in there, bummer. Then we went to the National Gallery where we only stayed for a short amount of time because my dad and I only wanted to see a certain time period. However, I saw painting by Monet, Degas, Van Gogh and others, which I liked. Then we went to St. Paul's Cathedral, but it was closed for tours, by this time it was only four p.m. and we had finished everything that we wanted to do in London but we did not want to head back and sit in the hotel for the rest of the night. So I suggested going to the Shakespeare Globe, but they were closed for tours and then it started to rain, so we went back to the Tate Modern which was nearby and then it down poured, but at least we were indoors. Once we thought it slowed down we made a dash to a pier where we were going to take a boat around the city, but we had to walk to the next pier since the closer one was closed, I got very wet even with my raincoat on. You are probably thinking why would we take a boat while it is raining, don't you worry it was enclosed, which was a great way to see the entire river in an hour. After that we headed back to our hotel, but first we got dinner at a Chinese Restaurant.

Sunday we woke up late and then leisurely made our way to Paddington station to take our train back to Bath Spa, however we had 3 hours to kill! What better way to waste three hours? Eating and that is just what we did, unfortunately that did not take three hours. We would of explored Paddington but first it was raining and second there is not much to do there from what I could tell. We finally made it to Bath and I walked my dad to the place he is staying for the week and then we walked around but all of the shops were closed so we bought a pizza since neither one of us was really hungry and cooked it back at my flat. I then said good-bye to my dad for the night and I guess we will see what we will do for the week. However, on Thursday we are heading to Amsterdam for the weekend, which will be exciting! That is all on my side of the pond for now.

Love to all,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment