Saturday, February 6, 2010

Learning experiences

Week 1- Orientation Week

These past couple of days have been busy, but that is a good thing. On Wednesday, I traveled by Bus, well bus 14 to be exact, to the school that I will be in for the rest of the semester on Tuesdays. Once I boarded the bus I was unsure of where I had to get off but I told the driver where I needed to go and he helped me, which was great. I arrived to the school early, but that was fine because I looked at the handbook. After some time had passed two fifth year students gave me a tour of the building, however, I did not get to meet the teacher I will be working with, but I found out that I had to be there at 8 a.m. even though school does not start until almost 9.
After leaving the school I had to get Bus 14 back to the bus station near my flat. What I did was cross the street to the other bus stop and looked to see if Bus 14 was on that list, but it was not. I then asked someone where I had to go to catch Bus 14 to go towards Bath Bus Station and they said around the corner and across the street. I did that but then another person told me to go cross the street and around the corner. Now this might not seem difficult, but where they were telling me to cross and go around the corner was a round about, so I did not know which way to go. To make this a shorter story I ended up walking downhill for about 45 minutes trying to find the bus stop and I ended at the Bath Bus Station. Let's just say my feet were killing me! I now know where I have to get Bus 14, the same place it dropped me off. Oh goodness!!

On Thursday, as a group we all went to the Bath Abbey, which is beautiful and has amazing history, just like everything else in Bath. I did post pictures on facebook, so please take a look. Friday was more of a relaxing day, and I think this is when my jet lag caught up with me, therefore, I took two naps! Friday night was the first of three formals we have throughout the semester. The formal was at the Victorian Art gallery and this is where we met our tudors, which are professors in the U.S. This was good because now I can put a face to a name and I feel a little more comfortable going into classes starting Monday. After the reception was over all of my flatmates (8 including me) decided to go to a club, to say the least it is a lot different than at home. A lot less clothing on the woman and the males wear button down shirts and travel in packs and yes the males dance with one another. At the club there was Karaoke, so five of us decided to do it, but while we were waiting we met a local university male and when he found out we were Americans, he got really excited and dedicate a song to us. Some people are just so friendly.

Today, Saturday, nothing to much went on. A group of us went to go play football, or soccer and I got to play goalkeeper, which is not my cup of tea, but I did it anyway. One shot was hit pretty hard at my stomach, and I was more shocked than anything, but it still did hurt. Tomorrow we go on our first day trip, to Stonehedge, than to Salisbury where there is a Cathedral and then to Lacock for a traditional England Sunday Roast Dinner. Some point we get to see where part of the Harry Potter movies were filmed. Don't worry I will be taking pictures and posting them for everyone to see. Also to come is pictures and/or video of my flat. Questions/Comments are welcome.
Love to all,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment