Friday, March 5, 2010

School Visit & so much more

This past week I had to go to my school placement twice, I usually only go once a week. Now you may be thinking why is Monica writing a post on her school placement visit, big deal. Well this week I was in the classroom on Tuesday which is my normal day to visit and Friday (today). However, I was only in classroom for part of the day today and then I went to another part of the school, the Margaret Coates Center, which is a place for Autism children to go to school. I have never really worked with special needs children or with children that have Autism, but I LOVED it!

The children are so kind and actually very smart. At the centre there are 14 children from 4 years to 10 years and the centre teaches the students like they were in a regular school. However, the centre teaches the students life skills like manners, how to care for their bodies, respect other people and a bunch of other things. Which I think is great because then once this children are not in school they will be able to care for themselves.

One of the students became attached to me early on in the day. He kept saying Monica Monica come with me and would come get me and hold my hand to bring me where he wanted to go outside. On Friday's at my school placement the entire school including the autism centre go for a run around the school property. This child said to me Monica I want you to run with me, so I did even though I was in my clogs. How could I say no to him? I couldn't. Once we ran for half a mile he let go off my hand and said he was going to run by himself, which was fine with me. These children just have so much heart and are so kind. I just wanted to have the day be longer so that I could spend more time with them. Unfortunately, today was the only day I was in the centre, but I may try to visit again before my school placement is over.I feel like I did not do a good job explaining what went on today and how I was feeling, but the experience opened my eyes to alternative education for students that may not fit into the mainstream school.

Since arriving in Bath a little over a month ago I can see that I have changed. Now you may think how much could a person change so much in one month? It is possible because I feel comfortable walking around a big city like Bath, which has 90,000 plus people, I feel comfortable taking the public bus to my school placement every week, plus I feel like I have learned a lot about myself. So don't think that when I come back to the states you are not going to recognize me because I have changed on the inside and become more confident with myself, but I am still going to look the same on the outside, white as ever!
When I arrive back home I hope that people will recognize me as Monica, but will understand that since being abroad I have changed due to my experiences. I guess I never really thought I would change when I went abroad, but it is happening and I am actually enjoying it. This experience has been good for me to figure out who I am and for me to become more independent. I know a lot of people say that they become more independent, but being abroad I have had to cook for myself, which then means I have to shop and buy my own food. I have also had to do my own laundry, which thanks to my mum I have not had to do ever even while I was at SMC. Thanks Mom!

I believe that my experience abroad will make me a better person and get me prepared for my life to come when I cannot always rely on other people to support me fully, especially financially. Yes I know if I ever needed something I would be able to get assistance from my loved ones, but it has been nice not to depend on that.

Well, I have two papers that I need to write this weekend, which I am not looking forward to, but I have to do it. So that is what my weekend is going to consist of, no traveling for this girl this weekend, Boo. However, if it is nice perhaps I will take a walk around Bath as a writing break, which I am keeping my figures crossed that it is nice!

Love to all,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment